PDA

View Full Version : Should I be worried about this?

IainL
04-12-2009, 09:08 AM
I can't work out whether the Vectra is losing coolant or not.

I topped it up about 3 or so weeks ago, just adding couple of centimetres onto the fill level.

Now I check it every week, but noticed this morning that it has dropped about a centimetre or 2 again. Could this be due to the fact it was very cold and frosty?

There are no visible leaks or signs of mayo on the underside of the oil filler cap.

I just need to rule this out before going further with this. I am picking a gasket up at VX for the Coupe tomorrow so I will order a new header tank filler cap when I'm there.

Andy79
04-12-2009, 09:28 AM
The gsi i sold to get the vxr lost water everyday, no leaks nothing wrong, took it to vx they said dont worry about it????? never did suss it out.

My mate with another gsi was also losing water and his was the heater matrix bridge(think thats what it is called) as its in an akward place you couldnt see the leak.

Could be losing it in loads of places with the vec, thermostat housing, heater matrix, oil cooler housing plate.

Just keep your ete on it for the next few days bud, if it get worse then you deffo have something wrong.

Leeky
04-12-2009, 10:51 AM
Is the interior steaming up mate?

Also check the top of both footwells, where your feet sit for dampness. If the matrix is leaking, its likely this area will be damp.

That said, a Vectra can lose it from many places. Try running it on a dry drive (with the AC off) and see if you can see it dripping anywhere underneath.

Pllusy
04-12-2009, 11:10 AM
The gsi i sold to get the vxr lost water everyday, no leaks nothing wrong, took it to vx they said dont worry about it????? never did suss it out.

My mate with another gsi was also losing water and his was the heater matrix bridge(think thats what it is called) as its in an akward place you couldnt see the leak.

Could be losing it in loads of places with the vec, thermostat housing, heater matrix, oil cooler housing plate.

Just keep your ete on it for the next few days bud, if it get worse then you deffo have something wrong.

Iains vec is a 2.0 so it wouldnt be the coolant bridge.
keep an eye on it tho and see if it gets any worse.

IainL
04-12-2009, 12:05 PM
Ok cheers guys I will be watching it closely. Footwells are dry and the waterpump was changed about 7.5k miles ago when the belt was done.

I'll run it when its warm and have a good nosey around with the torch to see if the increased pressure is showing up any pinholes in the rad/hoses or other leaks.

Ian T
04-12-2009, 08:04 PM
Often the best time to spot leaks is first thing in the morning before you start it up, as it'll evaporate off a hot engine / pipe pretty quickly.

You might check the radiator for leaks (also whilst cold) and white sugary deposits where the antifreeze is crystallising when the coolant evaporates.

Ian.

oillite
04-12-2009, 09:42 PM
Next time it drops dont top it up but wait and see if it drops any further. If it doesn't then the coolant loss you are experiencing is down to expansion loss. If so then there's no need to top it up.
Also do you check when the engine is warm or cold. If the level is holding steady when its at running temperature, then drops down when the the engines cold and goes back up to the previous level when hot again means that the levels okay with no leaks.

But carry 5 ltrs of coolant just in case

My old mk1 Astra, if I topped it up to the recommended level it would lose coolant, left to find its own level it stayed put till the next coolant change.

Fester95
04-12-2009, 10:41 PM
I had a similar problem with a different car. The water pump would occasionally stay open a fraction and would let water out as and when it felt like it. Would top it up one week, and then not again for ages, then two days on the trot. Very sporadic.

Stealers said they couldn't diagnose a problem at all, but my local mechanic sussed it out!

And believe it or not, the pump was less than 5k old.

IainL
22-01-2010, 09:16 AM
Just to help anyone else who may be having the problem of a latent coolant leak, I found the source of it last night. A friend borrowed his garage's pressure tester and theres was a clearly visible trickle from the thermostat gasket.

80-odd pence at VX tomorrow and it will be sorted! Saved a whole load of greif and cash lol!